Cisco Meraki is a great tool which allows a school or organisation to manage large number of devices from the Meraki Dashboard.
Occasionally though, we come across an issue. One of these issues was with one particular iPad, where, after going through the setup process, the restrictions wouldn’t apply, and eventually, after 15 minutes or so, the Meraki MDM profile would disappear from the iPad, all the managed apps would start disappearing and the iPad was pretty much useless.
We tried a full factory reset with the device removed from Meraki, and still the same problem.
We fixed it by restoring the firmware using DFU mode. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Plug your device into your computer with its USB cable.
- Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
- Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
- Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
- After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.
If everything worked, Itunes should recognize the device and ask you if you want to restore it.
More info about DFU mode here.